For the first time, the famous convention of comics, movies, TV series, collectibles, cosplay, anime and manga will be held in Panama. A unique cultural event. From October 26 to 28.
“Have you ever seen the Iron Throne, its barbs along the back, its twisted steel ties, and the jagged ends of swords and knives fused? It’s not a comfortable seat.” Aerys cut himself so often that people called him King Scab, and Maegor the Cruel was murdered in that chair … It’s not a place where a man can rest easily … Sometimes I wonder why my brothers loved it so desperately.”
– Stannis Baratheon to Davos Seaworth (Game of Thrones).
I’m going to ask you a personal question, inspired by the previous paragraph. Did you ever want to sit on the intimidating Iron Throne? Perhaps you imagined how it would be to govern with fierce steel fist the 7 kingdoms, while you face the plots of your enemies and the terrible threats that appear from the north?
Before you answer me, let me ask you again another question that does not seem to have much to do with the first one, but deep down it is very well related: Maybe instead of sitting on the Iron Throne, you would prefer to see, up close, the famous Batmobile, feeling like Batman heading to fulfill dangerous missions against criminal geniuses through nocturnal streets full of dangers?
Well, the truth is that you do not have to choose. This year, in fact in a few weeks, the first edition of Comic-Con Panama will be inaugurated. The activities, contests, guests and workshops are numerous. And two of those main attractions are just a replica of the Iron Throne (so you can actually test how cozy or rough and uncomfortable the power is) and another replica of the almost eternal Batmobile. But in addition, the event will feature other special attractions, such as the Jurassic Park Experience and a very intense and creative Halloween party.
Paris Comic Con 2015, photography by ActuaLitté.
Today the famous convention holds traditional events, such as Japanese animation film projection rooms, events dedicated to video games and many hours devoted to all aspects of comics and pop culture. And yet, in recent years, exhibitors have increased the variety of their content, including many more television series, with panels dedicated to the actors, writers, and producers and everyone that surrounds these T.V. productions. Without a doubt, the convention has grown tremendously since its origins, back in 1970 in San Diego. Not only has it grown enormously in terms of public (the first Comic-Con attracted a tiny crowd made up of 300 people, which today have turned into millions); it has also expanded its horizons considerably, welcoming different aspects of the creative fantasy world, incorporating new elements and moving away from the world of comics as a single or main component.
This is a unique opportunity to gather in Panama the largest number of followers of movies, series, collectibles, comics, cosplay, anime and manga; and thus turn Panama into an annual meeting point for regional fans.
Courtesy of Isabel Quintero (@isabel_quinter0, panamanian cosplayer) Picture taken of her visit to the New York Comic Con of 2013 next to the celebrated Stan Lee, accompanying are Rodolfo Guillermo Chiari another renowned Panamanian cosplayer and Cristina Contreras-Carroll.
Get ready. These are the different Areas that you can enjoy when you come to Comic-Con Panama:
• Panels Area: A space for lectures, workshops and presentations will be opened so you´ll be up to date from people specialized in the industry.
• Experience Zone: The faithful followers of the vast geek world will be able to take photographs with their favorite elements from their preferred series and movies, such as the already mentioned replicas of the Iron Throne of “Game of Thrones” and the replica of Batman´s “Batmobile”.
• Artist Alley Zone: a space that will seek to promote Panamanian talent in areas such as design, animation, illustration, fantasy literature and cosplay.
• Stage Zone: Presentations of guest artists, movie trailers, product launches, among others.
• Meet & Greet area: Unique place for fans. There will be a special ticket for this place, which will allow you to take pictures with the characters from different series and movies.
• Commercial Zone: Special for companies in the industry that want to sell or exhibit their products.
Comic Con Panamá will be held on October 26, 27 and 28, 2018 at the Amador Convention Center.
Cortesía de Patacoins, delegación panameña con cosplayers locales, en el New York Comic Con 2017.